Nutrition plays a central role in colony health, productivity, and resilience against pests and diseases. The quality of nutrition bees bring back to the nest is a direct result of the availability, timing, quantity and quality of nectar and pollen in the bees’ foraging environment.
PollenCheck is an innovative mobile app designed to help beekeepers quantify the diversity and amount of pollen available to honey bees.
If you have at least two healthy colonies, consider participating in PollenCheck.
Here is what you need
If you would like to utilize PollenCheck, this equipment will allow you to get started.
- 2 Pollen Traps of your choice
- The PollenCheck Kit, which includes:
- Plastic 100mL Clear Graduated Cylinder (quantity 1)
- 1/2 tps Measuring spoon (quantity 1)
- Sorting scoopula (quantity 1)
- 2″ x 3″ 24 color card (quantity 1)
- Quart Ziploc bags (quantity 12 bags)
- Sharpie pen (quantity 1)
Once you have all of your equipment, download the PollenCheck iOS app from the Apple App Store or Android app from Google Play Store, and sign up for a new account. Once you are ready to start collecting, you should follow the research protocol documented in the video tutorials you’ll find in the app.