Wi-Fi Hive Scale evaluation results, January 2017
- Inexpensive compared to comparable products: $285 (Club and other discounts available)
- Direct real-time updates to cloud via Wi-Fi. No need to manually collect/upload data via a smartphone.
- No SIM card required (e.g. no monthly service fees)
- Excellent product documentation / videos.
- Customer service is responsive and helpful.
- Runs approximately a year on 3 standard AA batteries.
- Batteries can be replaced without removing the hive.
- Simple integration with BIP database.
- Requires the hive site to be within range of a Wi-Fi access point. Not an issue for most backyard beekeepers in a residential setting, but will be problematic for out yards.
- A Wi-Fi extender is highly recommended to get a reliable level of service to the hive site. (an extra $60 – $100 expenditure).
- Does not work well in enterprise Wi-Fi infrastructure.
- Quick start guide: http://www.wifihivescale.com/index.php/quick-start-guide/guide
- FAQ: http://www.wifihivescale.com/index.php/quick-start-guide/faq
1 – Checking Your Wi-Fi Signal Strength (Android)
1 – Checking Your Wi-Fi Signal Strength (iOS)
2 – Sensor Installation
3 – Wi-Fi Setup (for units purchased after 9/20/2016)
3 – Wi-Fi Setup (for units purchased before 9/20/2016)
4 – Registering Your Account
5 – Registering Your Wi-Fi Hive Scale with the Bee Informed Partnership Portal