The goal of the Sentinel Apiary program is to become an early warning system to alert beekeepers of potential problems due to increases in Varroa/Nosema (or changes in hive weight with the addition of a hive scale). We hope you will join us on a Citizen Science journey to better colony health and cooperative colony management. Scroll down to learn more about the Program, or click the “Sign Up” Button to join.
Be a part of the Citizen Science Movement and join our Sentinel Apiary team!
With the help of beekeepers all over the country, we have successfully completed our fifth year of the Sentinel Apiary Program (read the 2019 Summary Report PDF).
- Participant Data Sheet
- Sentinel Promotional Brochure
- Sentinel Pro (for commercial beekeepers) brochure
About Sentinel Apiaries:
- A colony health monitoring program for 4 colonies ($275) or 8 colonies ($499)
- 6 months of Varroa and Nosema samples processed by our lab
- Monthly hive health inspections conducted by you
- Optional hive scale data collection
By empowering beekeepers with data on their colony health, beekeepers have been able to make data-driven management decisions. In recent years, Sentinel Participants had lower Varroa loads each month than the APHIS National Average.
Participation from beekeepers like you has helped us build one of the largest continuous colony level databases in the world!
Your Sentinel Data Contributes to Exciting Research!
- Investigation of inter-apiary Varroa transmission (Varroa “bomb”)
- Correlation of internal physical symptoms to mortality using historical Sentinel samples
- Collaboration with NASA-DEVELOP to investigate landscape effects on Sentinel colony health using NASA-Earth satellite imagery